Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Thursday, February 2, 2012

Old enough to be a time capsule

I never considered the age of 25 old, but after a recent article written by the Ypsilanti Courier's Rachelle Marshall, I'm feeling quite dusty as my 25th birthday approaches.
Rachelle attended Redner Elementary's 25th birthday celebration last week where the school dug up a time capsule buried in 1987.
I began to feel wrinkles emerging and joints creaking as I realized I'm old enough to be a time capsule, and not just a capsule that has been buried. I'm old enough to be a time capsule that has been buried, dug up and the items inside examined by the next generation.
One of the items inside the capsule was a floppy disk for a computer. I remember using these at home and in school frequently. According to Rachelle, the students were mystified by the ancient object from my youth.
It's weird being part of a generation that has already made a mark on history. I was used to being part of the young, impressionable, knowledge absorbing generation. Now, I'm old enough to be part of the past, educating the next generation on how things used to be.
The realization makes me examine what I've accomplished in my life, what I still want to do and how to set an example for the next generation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]