Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Finally, barbeque in Ypsilanti!

A few weeks after starting work as a full-time reporter for Heritage Media, I wrote an article on a local barbeque restaurant that was slated to open in Ypsilanti called Red Rock BBQ.

After months of chomping at the bit waiting for this restaurant to open, the day finally came this past weekend.

Let me preface this with one thing: I love barbeque. And not just slapping sauce on chicken wings. I mean slow and low smoked meats that melts in your mouth. I've had a fair amount, and I can be quite judgmental and often leave places a little disappointed.

Red Rock, however, did not disappoint. The restaurant officially opened April 20. My fiance and I headed in the next day. I had a half smoked chicken entree and he had a beef brisket sandwich. It was awesome. Large portions, incredibly tasty meat and sides that could have stood out as meals themselves.

I typically judge a barbeque joint most harshly on its cornbread. I'm incredibly picky because I've had both great and terrible cornbread. In my humble opinion, cornbread should be moist and be made with real corn. Again Red Rock did not disappoint. Not only did the cornbread have real kernels of corn in it, but it was so moist that when you picked it up it was sticky like a cupcake. Needless to say, I was in love.

Service was great, especially for opening weekend. The prices are decent, pretty low for a barbeque place. You can get a meat entree for $10-13 or a sandwich (pulled pork, brisket, etc.) for $7-9. You definitely won't break your bank eating here, and most of all I'd say you'll leave happy.

What made me most happy and excited after going to Red Rock was seeing how busy they were on their second day of being officially open. The majority of tables were filled, and so was a good chunk of the bar. Since I live here in Ypsi I love seeing local businesses do well. It's a sign that our community is thriving and can support more businesses.

My fiance and I liked Red Rock so much, we went back for lunch on Monday. He had a pulled pork sandwich and I opted for a salad with smoked chicken and beef brisket. And more cornbread, of course.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]