Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fried dough heaven

I have the privilege of living in Ypsilanti. With that privilege comes a lot of inside knowledge about Ypsi that I think the rest of the county misses out on. There are tons of innocuous looking places, especially places to eat, that are treasure troves of fun and deliciousness.

One of these places in Dom's Bakery, located at 1305 Washtenaw Ave., just west of Eastern Michigan University's campus.

It struck me today, as I waited in line to get my half-dozen paczki (don't you judge me, I shared), that Dom's is an Ypsilanti Gem. Unlike commercialized donut stores, Dom's is cheap, fresh and awesome.

Anyone who's ever gone to EMU or lived in Ypsilanti already knows what I'm about to tell you. Dom's Bakery has the best donuts. Ever. In the entire history of donuts. No one does them better!

Why? Because nothing beats paying $.65 for a fresh long john the width of my wrist. And because fresh doesn't mean made within the last two days. A lot of the time it means within a day. More times than not I've ventured in for a tasty late night snack and received a warm, gooey, obviously just off the drying rack donut. As an EMU student, it was the perfect late night food. Now, it's a perfect early morning comforting treat.

If I'm going to eat something like a donut, I'm going to make it worth it. And Dom's makes it worth it.
So if you haven't experience the calorie-killing bliss that is Dom's Bakery, do it before you regret it. Now, if you'll excuse me I still have one more paczki left...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]