Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Monday, November 22, 2010

A few things for which I'm thankful

The following was submitted by The View staff reporter Jerry LaVaute:

I kicked around a couple ideas for a column this week, but it’s difficult at this season to imagine a more worthy undertaking than a reflection on the things for which I am thankful:

My wife Jan
She’s still the nicest person in the room, in whatever room we’re in.

My children
A couple of great kids if ever there were ones – friendly, responsible, decent.

My grandson Noah
“Noah looked good,” Jan said to me matter-of-factly after a visit from Noah and his parents on Sunday night. Without a moment’s hesitation, I affirmed her observation.

At six months, the kid is great: confident, happy, big smiles, healthy.

My family
The older I get, the more I appreciate what my Mom and Dad did for me and my sister, particularly around the Christmas holidays, which they made so special as we were growing up.

Job
The process of gathering information and writing about it as clearly as I’m able is one that still fascinates me.

Religion
Answering a call to return to the church over 30 years ago, anticipating my son’s birth, was one of the best things I’ve ever done.

Invitations
I’m thankful to those who took a moment to introduce me to new things in my life.

God
Ironically, I’m thankful to God for letting me struggle at times in my life. I learned a lot from it. But I’ve been extraordinarily blessed, and am grateful.

My Ford career
I learned so much about people and automobiles, and how to listen to and express ideas.

Homes
Since I married, I’ve lived in just two homes in my life. Both were great places in which to live, and to raise a family.

College football
A pastime that has entertained me for many years. I look forward to it every fall.

The University of Notre Dame
The key adjunct to my enjoyment of college football – my team, through thick or thin.

Reading
So many wonderful books; so little time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]