Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Monday, September 13, 2010

A busy, sociable Labor Daay weekend

The following was submitted by The View staff reporter Jerry LaVaute:

Three Picnics in Three Days

My labor day weekends are historically relaxing affairs for my wife and me – a time to get some chores done, and maybe a little grilling outdoors – watch a little college football – you know.

But coincidence reigned this last weekend when we were invited to three separate, consecutive picnics on Saturday, Sunday and Monday over the long weekend.

It was surprising, and a little tiring, but fun.

On Saturday, we were invited to my son Matthew’s house for hamburgers and Italian sausage, which were served at the halftime of the Notre Dame-Purdue game.

It was a good visit – my son and his wife and their son Noah seem to be living happy lives, and I’m happy for them. And Noah – what a charmer. A visit with him is a guaranteed delight.

On Sunday, we were invited to Mary Anne and Bill Emerson’s home for a picnic, which was with a few members of their family, including in-laws.

We ate hamburgers and Italian sausage shortly after arriving (are you beginning to see a pattern here?), and retired to the screened porch, where we chatted with each other for a couple hours in very pleasant, relaxing circumstances.

On Monday, we were invited to Frank and Susan Bellomo’s home, who reside on Belleville Lake.

We chatted with each other in their kitchen before embarking on a tour of the lake in a pontoon boat.

Surprisingly, it began to sprinkle a bit, and the folks that were in the front of the boat with me moved rearward to avoid the rain.

I moved to the near edge of the cover, which shielded me from the rain as we headed eastward, but when Frank turned the boat around and we pointed toward the west, I began to be pelted by the rain and moved to what probably was the last remaining corner of the boat that was shielded from the rain.

The rainfall ebbed after 20 minutes, and the rest of our sojourn was completed in the sunlight. On balance, it was a pleasant trip.

When we returned to shore, dinner was prepared and we ate – you guessed it! – hamburgers and Italian sausage, and several other delightful dishes.

All in all, it was a busy weekend – I was dragging a bit after I returned to work on Tuesday – but I had a good time, and am thankful to my hosts for a Labor Day weekend that was fun, sociable and exciting.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]