Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Friday, July 16, 2010

Horror, followed by sadness

The following blog was filed by The View Staff Reporter Jerry LaVaute:


I was writing a story on Tuesday morning, and I began to cry.

It was brief, but it hurt, and it was a little embarrassing, even in the privacy of my home office. I should be under better control, I thought. Time to man up and act more professionally.

It’s happened to me a couple times as I write about stories that initially provoke horror in me, followed by sadness, and regret for the bad things that happen in the world, especially to children; and my inability to do precious little about it, except cry. Jeez.

The story surfaced as I was interviewing Sumpter Township Police Chief James Pierce about the importance of a “yes” vote on the police millage on August 3.

It is a millage renewal, the chief explained, and it provides a significant share of his budget.

Officer Beth Egerer stopped into his office for a moment, talking with the chief about two sexual assault cases that she had recently handled.

That story will soon be published in The View, but it was the second account that got to me.

Two children, nine and seven years old, were alleged to have been sexually assaulted by their grandfather.

Charged with nine counts of sexual assault, grandpa pled guilty to two counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct in the first degree.

Chief Pierce said that the prosecutor plans to request the maximum sentence, which is life imprisonment, or a sentence of not less than 25 years.

In the board meeting that followed our discussion, the Chief’s announcement of Egerer’s service was greeted by warm applause by officials and audience alike.

Me, I think about the two kids. Here’s hoping that they’re now in the hands of people in whom their trust isn’t betrayed, and that they can get past what happened to them.

May God grant his grace on them – they certainly deserve it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]