Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!



















Throughout my lifelong love of sports, I've never been a soccer buff.

I've never known the passion and thrill of what intrigued so many to watch a sport which could end in a 0-0 tie and be called exciting.

Not even when I was growing up in Pontiac, Mich. in 1994 when the World Cup came to the Silverdome just 2 miles away from my front door was I enthralled in the sport or the excitment that looms around it.

That was until this summer.

My 4-year-old started his first organized sport: Soccer. And the World Cup is in full effect.

I found myself learning more about the rules of the game because people in the office were glued to the tube when they weren't working.

I think more than anything, a sense of personal pride for my country has drawn me into the Cup fever. Having watched the USA vs. England in the World Cup kickoff for our country. The 1-1 tie had me on my seat for quite some time as the USA may have earned the cliched nickname of the Cardiac Kids.

The 2-2 tie versus Slovenia was even more exciting, and I felt personally robbed when the goal was wiped out that would have won the game for the USA.

In the advancing game versus Algeria, with the game tied 0-0 (and another good goal wiped out by a bad offside call), I was cautiously optimistic about the U.S.'s chances of advancing to the next round. Ninety minutes had passed without a standing goal. In the final minutes of extra time, it was the most recognizable name on the US squad, Landon Donovan, who tapped in the go-ahead goal the the United States, and that culminated my fanhood as a soccer fan.

I errupted from my seat with a huge roar, one which got a strange look from Jax, my dog.

With that goal, soccer earned a new fan for life. And while I may not watch every game or keep up with the day to day activities, I will become more invested in professional soccer.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this proves without a doubt that the US is the best team in the World Cup and once again proves when we want to be we are the best in every sport because we are kind of a big deal.

June 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Jerry LaVaute said...

Ah, soccer. Ah, sports on TV, watching with your son.

I've frightened the dogs several times over the years, watching ND football, and many years ago, I watched with my son.

Matthew and I still go together each spring to ND's Blue-Gold game, and he said recently that he has some tickets to ND games in the fall.

Your blog resonated in a big way with me, Jeremy. And all I can say is: enjoy. Enjoy watching your child participate in sports, enjoy sharing experiences like the World Cup. Think about becoming a coach someday. Make the most of it - he won't be young forever.

June 24, 2010 at 4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]