Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strawberry Festival time!

The following was submitted by The View Staff Reporter Jerry LaVaute:

The Strawberry Festival approaches
This morning, I got to see the results of the first tab (I guess it’s short for tabloid) toward which I contributed in a big way.

It’s the special insert in this week’s The View that is a guide for festivalgoers.

I took 33 years of living in the area and packed as much welcoming gusto I could muster, and threw it into that story.

It was a thrill to see it be the lead story in the tab.

On Sunday, I will visit the Strawberry Festival for the first time in well over a decade, and cover it for The View.

When my wife and kids and I lived across the street from St. Anthony Church, I saw the Strawberry Festival up close, at times too close and too often. The dust, the noise from the carnival across the street, the traffic in the streets, it could sometimes be a bit much.

After an extended absence, I’m looking forward to seeing it again, and it looks as if the weather will cooperate. I’m excited for those who have worked so hard to produce this – I hope they are justly rewarded.

Milan City Council discussions
There are stories coming next week about a couple interesting discussions conducted at Monday’s Milan City Council meeting.

The twin subjects are potential changes to a dog and cat (yes, cat) leash ordinance, and a potential moratorium on applications for medical marijuana dispensaries within the city.

Neither discussion was conclusive, and no decisions were reached. But they’re interesting reading in their own right, and a bellwether for future changes that may affect how you live, if you live in Milan.

German students working at the VBT Senior Center
At the Van Buren Township Board of Trustees on Tuesday, Senior Center Director Lynette Jordan received permission to arrange a host for a German student for a year, who will help out at the Senior Center. I’m planning to do a story on the current student, Oliver Siegel. This is a win-win for the township, and a great reporting opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]