Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Saturday, April 10, 2010

'Train Stops Here' Freighthouse benefit a success

Last night I had the opportunity to be one of the 220 or so guests at "The Train Stops Here" Freighthouse Benefit Auction.

It was my first REAL auction and boy did I have a good time. From shaking hands with the who's who of Washtenaw County in attendance, to watching those who aren't so effected by the economic downturn bid thousands of dollars for charity, it was a great night from start to finish.


State Rep. John Dingell and Senator Debbie Stabenow were among the attendees, as well as Ypsilanti Mayor Paul Schreiber and Ann Arbor Mayor John Hieftje.


There were some truly awesome packages being auctioned off including a car, a Bruce Springsteen signed guitar, four luxury vacations (including two to South Africa and one to Florida), private wine tastings, and many, many other deluxe gifts.



I was caught up in it all and even made a few bids! My first bid was well outside of my meager journalist salary as I bid $1,000 on a one week stay at a luxury resort with all spa visits, tours and gourmet meals included. I was outbid at $1,000, but got up to $1,150 before I was ousted by a $1,300 winning bid.

My other bid was for a week-long, all-expenses paid trip to Higgins Lake in northern Michigan. The cabin accommodates 14 people and, again, is all inclusive. This time STARTED the bidding at $1,000. (Can you tell that I'm really in need of a getaway?) John McMillan and Linda French, however, set out to win two things before they even set out to come into the auction. Unfortunately for me, the Higgins Lake vacation was one of them.

So there I was stuck in a heated bidding war with John and Linda. You have team a) Journalist salary, and team b) one of the best Ypsilanti business family's salary. Needless to say, I was outbid there too. :) (They are great people. I'm sure they'll enjoy the much-needed getaway as well.)

 

Although I walked away empty-handed (I bid on a couple other items as well, but I had a cap on those things), I had a wonderful time. In all, there was about $45,000 raised, including the Sidetrack's donation of all the proceeds from the cash bar sales last night, sponsors donations, admission prices and auction money raised.

I can say that even though I didn't win anything, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming to the event Jeremy! It was nice to have the Courier in attendance. And I'm thrilled to hear you got into the bidding excitement as well!

The auction was a great success for us as we raised almost double our initial goal of $25,000. The benefactors, sponsors & volunteers were so generous; I am eternally grateful.

Thank you Ypsilanti Freighthouse Supporters for participating in such a wonderful evening!

Candace B. Pinaud
The Train Stops Here
Event Chair

April 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Allen said...

Thank you, Candace. It was a really great event and everyone I spoke with said they had a wonderful time.

I'm glad The Courier was able to provide coverage for the event.

April 13, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger YpsiSeniorCtr said...

hi Jeremy - I think this is another good way to talk about information and events of interest to Ypsilantians and their friends. And congrats to Candace and all who made the Freighthouse Event such a success! We love Ypsilanti!

I hope people will stop by our Ypsi Senior Center Rock-a-thon Fundraiser this Sunday, too, 2 - 6 pm. Although very modest by comparison, it does help us raise the almost $50,000 year operating costs we need each year to support this fine community treasure!

April 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Allen said...

If you email me the information about the Rock-A-Thon, I'll try to have it added to our events page for the print edition of the Ypsi Courier. I'll also come out, take some photos and blog about it as well.

Make sure you follow the blog so we you'll get updates when we post.

(jallen@heritage.com)

April 13, 2010 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Allen said...

Here is a video I put together as well.
http://heritage.com/video/video-news/?media=12784482

April 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]