Belleville & Ypsilanti: Inside the Newsroom

Here you can find the musings of writers and editors of the Ypsilanti Courier and the Belleville View.


Monday, March 28, 2011

Fighting fires, saving lives

When I was growing up, a police and fire scanner was always on in our house. But, I had a love/hate relationship with it. I remember nights when I would go to sleep, scared because my dad had gone out on another fire call. Yet, I can recall times when it would bring excitement when my sister and I would get to ride with him to an accident that happened nearby when he was off duty.

In high school, I remember chasing fire trucks with my friends, adrenaline pumping as we raced to find out what was going on. Ironically, as a journalist I’ve had the chance to chase fire trucks but have unfortunately been a witness to many house fires.

Now, my brother has carried on the legacy and is a firefighter in Kalamazoo. His children have even picked up on the family tradition by making fire trucks their toy of choice and dressing up in his uniform.

On Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending Comedy Jam 4, a fundraiser for the Michigan Firehouse Museum at 110 W. Cross St. in Ypsilanti.
Coming from a family of firefighters, this event may have been more personal for me, but I feel it’s important for everyone to know about the importance of firefighting in our community.

Honestly, I never knew a lot about the history of the profession until I went to the museum. Throughout the three-story building, display cases showcased years of history ranging from Smokey the Bear memorabilia to whistles to old comics from Smokey Stover. There was also a special case devoted to 9/11.

Many communities throughout the state have considered cutbacks on police and fire protection. Budgets are tight and times are tough, but I think the museum manager, Steve Wilson, put it best when he told me that money may be tight, but fires are still going to happen. Firefighters are still going to be needed.

I encourage everyone to tour the firehouse museum and learn about the history of a profession that should be regarded with the utmost respect. After all, firefighters risk their lives to save ours. I’d say that’s worth something, wouldn’t you?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely, we should all respect and admire those that give of their own lives so that we can have ours. They do this in an unselfish manner and a lot of times for free. The least we can do is go to a museum to show our thanks and hey get some knowledge too!

March 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM  
Blogger kmessenger said...

I also come from a family of firefighters and totally agree that regardless of the economy, we cannot afford cutbacks to our firefighting forces. These individuals are highly trained and are needed to provide a vital service which will always be needed bad economy or not. Thank you for acknowledging these brave men and women, they all deserve our thanks!

March 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, we need to say thank-you to all our firemen who risk their lives for the sake of ours. No amount of money will make the fires go away!

March 29, 2011 at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]